Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Sixteen Candles

Well, Happy 2008 to all of you. I trust that since you are reading this, that you did not Drive Drunk and had a very safe and happy New Year! I partied like I was 22 again and boy, did I feel it yesterday. I took a nap! I mean, COME ON! Who naps?

I wanted to discuss my resolution made last month. As a reminder…I vowed to read a book every month. Well, that went straight down the shitter! I actually lost the book I was reading. Well, I have not blamed myself totally for that because when you move with boxes and boxes of stuff and little one’s … you are bound to lose something besides your mind and every fingernail. So, I was once again saved by a sibling. Here’s the scoop.

I came home one night after work, about the week before Christmas to find a box for me. I love getting boxes! As a kid, I would love the UPS man because he always brought boxes and boxes of Christmas presents. The box was from my sister, Kim and it came from the same State that all of those childhood memory boxes came from…Texas. I decided to open the box and spread a little Holiday Cheer. Much to my delight, inside were some great coloring books, crayons and books for the girls. They tore into that right away and we made it through with no crayon on the walls….are you knocking on wood? Matthew got a gift card for a bookstore that he is still wondering what to get with it. Get a book, Matt! And I got a t-shirt that my sister made herself and a new book! The T-shirt, first and foremost made me pick up the phone and call some of the girls in my phone who are between 34-44. It is pink, baby pink with a purple heart in the middle of the chest. In fantastically fonted silver script that says “I can’t believe I gave my panties to a geek!” Holy Crap. I laughed until I peed a little….too much? Anyway, I put it on right away and then remembered…OH! I got a book, right? I picked up the book entitled “”The Book Of Bright Ideas” by Sandra Kring. The cover shows a blond 9 year old girl in a ballerina outfit, including tiara and a book tied around her waist. I am not much for blurbs on book covers, but this is on the cover: “A powerful, poignant novel of family, friendship and a summer that will change lives forever.” It sounds like all the Summers I had as a tomboy. I do not remember a summer that didn’t have some kind of impact on me.

About a week later, maybe 3 days, I opened the book for the first time. Little people were no longer running around driving me crazy, so I put on my glasses, got comfy and started to read. What a great book this is! If you haven’t read it or heard of until this, I suggest you get it. It is full of the imagination that as adults, we remember having as children but we just can’t seem to find in our everyday bill-filled lives. There is even a character, Winnalee, that reminds me a lot of myself as a girl. Running around in clothes that nobody else finds fashionable, running barefoot everywhere, believing in what you cannot prove…I love her! I am almost done with it now and I cannot wait to see how it ends.

So, Kimberly Ann…a huge THANK YOU for this gift. It is, by far, one of the best Christmas presents, ever!!!! You are such a blessing to have as a sister.

Be all that as it may, I have decided that each week, no particular day, that I will start my own Book of Bright Ideas. For example from the book: Bright Idea #1- If you take an ugly girl and you dress her up in a pretty pink dress, lacy anklets, and plunk a homemade bow on her head, you’re not going to get a pretty girl. All you’re going to get is an ugly girl in a pretty dress, lacy anklets, with a bow plunked on her head!”

So, my Bright Idea #1 is:
“Just because you remember every single word to every single song-good or bad- that they play during a “flashback weekend” doesn’t mean you had nothing better to do with your time when the songs first came out. It simply means that you paid attention real good!”

Mirth & Merriment…..

2 comments:

Miss T said...

I LOVE the T-shirt!! That is just great - I'm jealous! Here's wishing you luck with reading a book at least every other month and thanks for the suggested read - I'm going to go look for it. Happy New Year, my buddy!!!

Anonymous said...

Leigh - Regarding your resolution: get some books on CD. Listen to them on the short drive between dropping off kids and getting into work. I know, it's not as fun, and it feels like it doesn't count....but you make up the rules. It counts! Good luck.