Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Big Girls Don't Cry.

As a child, I used to love getting mail. The birthday cards, with some sort of monetary gesture inside, Ranger Rick magazine, postcards from family who were traveling…anything. In fact, I used to wait in anticipation for the UPS guy to bring me the boxes that would hold my Christmas gifts. Now I hate mail! I hate that the only thing you ever get are sweetly worded letters from people wanting money, more shiny flyers about furniture and pizza and then even more bills. On a rare occasion, you do receive something that brings a tear to your eye and a smile to your face. That is what happened to me when I got home from work on Monday night.

I wasn’t feeling well. I left work just knowing that I was getting sick. My chest was tight, my cough was dry and my head hurt. I was definitely getting sick, if I wasn’t already in the throws of it already. I plopped my purse down and looked at the counter. The first thing I saw, underneath everything else mentioned above, was a return address label with my sisters name on it. That is the smile. I grabbed it, knocking all the junk to the floor that I had to ask Matthew to pick up for fear that if I had bent over, my head would explode and cover my children in particulate matter. As I opened the envelope, that is when the tears came.

You see, my sister came to our family when her dad married my mom way back in 1976. She is just 3 months younger than I am and I love her to death. She is funny and smart. She is quite possibly the best mom I know and her children and polite and kind. She got out of a marriage a few years back that left her broken hearted and questioning her self worth. He was a bastard…simply put. He didn’t deserve my sisters love and respect and she put more into the marriage than he did…just my opinion. It was very hard to see her hurting and living in Arizona. Had she been here, we would have been drinking wine weekly and crying with each other. I feel bad that I wasn’t there for her during the roughest moments of her life. But, she knows that I love her.

What came in the mail was my sisters wedding invitation. YUP…she found love and healed that heart right up! He is a great guy. There was a picture enclosed with the invite and then there were more tears. She and her new Mr. look blissfully happy. Serene. IN LOVE! What a wonderful end to a stressful day.

So, to Sherry and Ross…I wouldn’t miss it for the world. I am so glad that my sister has found true love and that you two are on your way to forever. I love you both.


Mirth & Merriment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awe!! I Love You Too Leigh!!! Hope you are feeling better. We'll see you soon.
;o)