Friday, January 18, 2008

I Would Be Good

Do we really know each other? I mean, I would like to think that I know a handful of people, but do I really? The subject came up when a former co-worker of my husband and someone he would have called a friend began reading my rantings here. She emailed me and mentioned that she never really knew me. Then I started thinking…does anyone really know me? If I were to die today and each of you reading this were questioned about my life, how many questions would you not have answers for? There are probably just a handful, ok…maybe just 3 people in the world who really know me. I think that is sad.

Then my memory turned to my school days, both high school and college. I loved writing…I always have. In one of those classes I was asked to write my own obituary. I am one of the proud daily routine readers of the local obituaries. I find it fascinating to read about their lives and loves. Their many accomplishments and the lives that they touched and the hearts that are broken now that they are gone from this world. I also seem to find people that I have known there and am touched to find out something about them that I did not already know. I am often saddened when only a name and funeral home is listed. Did that person not deserve a paragraph of their own? Did they not live and love? How sad to think that your entire life on this earth can be summed up in one sentence, fragmented or not. So, my task today is simple. I will write my obituary. Those of you who remember this post when I am gone, can edit this as to people and places, but as of today…this is me, dark humor and all!

“Lenore Frances Jacobson Torres was born on November 20, 1970 at Tripler Hospital in Honolulu Hawaii to Viola Gene and Ronald James. She was their third and final child. Being a Military Brat, “Lee” lived in many different places, but finally came to find her true home in California. As a child, she had a wild and vivid imagination. She liked to pretend to “Boogie Board” on the sands of any beach and grabbed attention where she could. Being the youngest in the family, was not meant to be when her Mom married Richard Dana in 1976 and brought her a younger sister, albeit 3 months younger. She also gained an older sister when her father married Shirley Cagle. At Orangewood Elementary School she starred in “South Pacific” and shocked those who knew her with her ability to act and sing…very LOUDLY! She attended Willowood Junior High and was majorly pissed off when parts of the school, well most of the school burned down. I mean, she had to carry her own books! In 1984 she started her Freshman year at Edgewood High School. In her 4 years there, she was on the Varsity swim team and a Trojanaire. She acted and directed many productions and was even nominated for the Prom Court. After graduation, she moved to Texas to live with her dad and family. She attended Ogle School of Cosmetology and after failing the test just a few times…she finally did earn her license. She had her first job at The Burger Box where she learned to make really good ice cream sodas. But, her life in Texas was not meant to last and she returned to California where she started taking courses. She is the proud Aunt of 9 nieces and nephews. She loved and lost many a beau, but found her husband Anthony living in the same apartment complex. In 2000, they created a beautiful son and 5 years later 2 daughters. Anthony also gave Leigh the chance to be a stepmom to his fantastic daughter. Leigh worked at DeWitt Petroleum since 2001. She felt happy and accomplished in her work there and the friendships she made there. She could always be found laughing in the hallways. Throughout her life, Leigh lived with the moto that you should have no regrets. In her death, she did have just one…that she had not lived longer.

Leigh is survived by her husband Anthony and their honorable children Areyani, Matthew, Athena and Aliza. It is through them that her memory, voice, love and laughter will live on. Her understanding parents; Viola and Richard Dana and her father ; Ronald Jacobson. Her intelligent older brother Matt and his family- Julie (as close to her sister as they get!), Charles, Godson Griffin and Michael. Her talented older sister Paula and her family- Brian, Andrew, Melissa and Godson Wil. Her faithful younger sister Sherry and her family- Ross, Kyle, Courtney and James. Her humorous older sister Kimberly and her family – Rodney, Bailee and Dylann. She is also survived by her Aunt Frances who never allowed her to be called by her first name, she always had to say “AUNT” first and her husband Jim and her stepmother Shirley. Her cousin William and Lina and her Goddaughter Eva Elizabeth; cousin Brian and daughter Abigail; cousin Dustin and his family Consuela, Ashley, Desiree and Daniel and her Godparents Mike and Esther Mangerino. She has many relatives who are asked to remember her as being joyous and quick witted. To her best of friends: Claudia, Jackie, Alice, Wendie, Maria, Erica, Quita, Melissa x’s two, Jenniefer, Yvette, Mari and all of those who enjoyed any amount of time with Leigh- whether it was 2 minutes or 20 years…you were all cherished! And although there are many who loved her and were loved by her, there were also those who disagreed with her views or perhaps fought when they had better things to do. To all of you who fit into that category know this: Leigh has done the very best thing possible- she has forgiven and now forgotten. Do not linger with regrets, for Leigh did not have any. She lived every moment to the fullest and made sure that everyone who came in contact with her would never forget her.”


Mirth & Merriment..

1 comment:

Miss T said...

Okay - honestly - am I going to have to refrain from reading your blog while I'm all annoying and hormonal?

The good new is I can enjoy the obit for what it is as and not what it represents. :-) I love you, sweetie!!!