Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A New Day

(Warning: I am on a soap box!)

Is there anything more important than family? I was an Aunt long before I became a mother and I once told my sister-in-law that I would die and kill for my nieces and nephews. That was not a lie. If something ever happened and I was put in a situation like that, do not doubt for a minute that I would find a way to make it better.

In the fall of 2000, I became a mother for the first time. It was an experience that I will not forget and I love to tell the story of the happiest day of my life to anyone who is bored enough to listen. While holding my newborn son that night, I thought back to holding my nieces and nephews when they were babies and I became overwhelmed with emotion. I would still do anything in my power, as well as enlist the help of others to protect them from evil, but having your own child puts quite a different spin on things.

I was reading this morning about the little girl who had washed up on the sand in Galveston, Texas. Well, she has been identified and I for one, am grateful that she is no longer “of this world”. What her own mother did to her makes me sad and angry. How could you hurt a miracle? How can you possibly take the life of something that came from within you? I am devastatingly amazed at parents who abuse and murder their children. It hurts my heart to see the headlines and I try my best to look away.

So how, as a society do we stop this hate crime from continuing? The Safe Haven Law is in effect where I live. It states that you can bring a newborn to an Emergency Room, Fire Station, Police Station and leave it safely in the arms of a human being with no questions asked. I applaud lawmakers for passing such a bill. I very rarely applaud the politicos so this is big for me. However, there are still stories of babies found in boxes, in garbage bags and in dumpsters. I try and imagine being 14, 15, 17 and being pregnant. Yes, it is true that my parents would have been angry. Yes, it is true that I would have hidden it from them as long as possible. Yes, it is true that they would have discussed my MANY options to childbirth at that age. But to place human life in a place where they will not be able to survive is something that I would have said no to. Never. What kind of human does that to another? Perhaps they aren’t human. Perhaps there are no emotions. I mean, if at 14 if they are already having unprotected sex, they are already damaged in some way and on a path, from which they cannot return. So thanks for passing the law, but is it working? I don’t think it is. What else can we do? I don’t know is my best answer.

So, while I am kissing 3 beautiful miracles night-night, I will thank God for every moment that I have with them. Thank God that I was given such an amazing opportunity to be a mother. And I will continue to pray for the unwanted children out there, that their tiny souls might find a place where they can be loved. And I will continue my hate and discontent for those who neglect, abuse and kill their own. I will not pray for you. What you deserve is my pity.

Ok. I’m done. Sorry if this was too deep and dark. I am just in that mood.


Mirth & Merriment….

No comments: