Monday, November 19, 2007

Funkytown

As you know, tomorrow marks my 37th birthday and I have a surgery check-in time of 6 am. That being said, I am posting my birthday blog today to give you something to read while I am recovering.

I have given birth to 3 children, but I am a mother to 4. Being a Mom has given me the greatest joy and fear that I ever imagined I could ever have. I am thankful for Areyani, Matthew, Athena and Aliza. I love you all so much!

I have been married only once. It was a beautiful clear, cold January day and it changed my life forever. We have created a wonderful family together and for Anthony, I am forever thankful.

I am a child of a breast cancer survivor, although you would never know she was ever diagnosed. My mother is a remarkable woman who has always found time to teach her children and grandchildren vocabulary words that we will never use, but we do remember them, Ma. I am thankful for you.

I almost drowned once while going down a water slide in New Braunfels, Texas. It was only by the grace of God and my stepmother’s feet, which held me above water, that I am still here. I am thankful for you, Shirley.

I have eaten the very best homemade salsa and eaten it with chips and had very, VERY large glasses of wine with my sister, who actually married my brother, so she is technically my sister-in-law, by my sister nonetheless. I am thankful for you, Julie.

I have been able to karaoke with one of the greatest voices I have ever heard in a tavern in Seattle, Washington. I was shaking like a leaf, but we sang “Unforgettable” just as good as Nat King and Natalie Cole. I am thankful for you, Dad.

I am the little sister of two great siblings who taught me about curling irons and model Death Star. My sister still talks to me even though I threw all her makeup out the window and read her diary. My brother, well, I think he just likes me…period. I am thankful for Matt and Paula.

I am a very proud older sister to a woman who is one of the best mom’s I have ever known. She is in control, even when she had two little one’s running around. She is also a great coupon-clipper. I am thankful for you, Sherry.

I am blessed to have a Dad that did not impregnate my Mom. Wow…TMI! He has shown me nothing but love and support since he met my Mom and he is just plain wonderful. I am thankful for you, Daddy.

I have ridden in an ambulance on several occasions, but only once for myself. I have had stitches, but there were due to childbirth. I broke my arm in 3 places (right, Mom?) when I was 3 years old when a little boy ran over my arm on a bicycle. Damn boys! I have horrible sinuses and I hate the Santa Ana winds because of it. I used to bite my nails. I have 4 piercings in each ear and 2 tattoos. My belly button is an Innie.

I was born a blond. It’s true…I have pictures. I am now a brunette, only because that is how I chose to cover the grey I had to use something strong…super duper strong. I have been blond, platinum blond, audacious cherry, aubergine, auburn, brown and once, just once, green. My hair has been permed and is naturally curly and I dislike it immensely. I prefer to straighten it. But today, it is curly.

I was also skinny once and blond. I am not skinny now, but I vow that I will be this time next year. My boobs are blah…blah….blah.

My eyes were blue when I was born and are now more green. They change color depending on what color I am wearing, but they usually stay blue-green-gray. Go figure…both of my parents have brown eyes.

My shoes are a size 10. Yeah. Nothing else to add to that.

I have lived in Hawaii, Arizona, California and Texas. I love to visit Seattle because of the fresh air and in 2008, I want to take my children out of the state to show them what is out there for them to enjoy. I do not remember Hawaii or Arizona. Thank God…it was, after all YUMA! I am a Marine Corps brat. Born in Tripler Hospital in Honolulu, Hawaii @ 5:30 p.m. I know this because my Mom often reminds me that she missed out on dinner due to my great arrival.

I had my wisdom teeth removed right before New Years when I was still in High School. Thank God for In-n-0ut milkshakes. I still have my gallbladder, appendix and tonsils.

I have watched the sunrise while holding my newborn son in my arms and it is a memory that I enjoy reliving, even though the thought of it makes me teary-eyed. I love saying "good night" to the moon with my daughters.

I have had a child in the hospital and it is something that I never want to experience, nor do I want any parent to have to watch their child suffer.

I have waited by the phone for a phone call and gotten good and bad news and the good news is always better.

I have lost all of my grandparents, friends, family and pets and each of them has some place in my heart.

I have yet to leave the Country, but I will do that someday and I will take my children with me. I want to show them everything I can before they get too old to truly hate me for it.


I have played Yahtzee until my eyes were sore. I play Trivial Pursuit to win. Maybe that is why nobody plays with me?

I have driven in a car with 2 teenage girls from California to Texas. Oh the times we had. Such joy at someone else's expense.

I have had my heartbroken 5 times that I can think of and each time hurt just as much as the last time. I have been cheated on and I have cheated on someone who trusted me. I am sorry for that.

I drank before I was 21 – gasp - !

I have had the privilege of feeling life move inside me.

I wore tube tops and legwarmers..together!


I have suffered from depression, although I did not know what it was at the time and I was pretty sure I was losing my mind. I am good now.

I have seen a Shrink…a couple actually. You gotta find the right one.

I have driven drunk. I have been arrested. I have done Community Service and live to tell the tale.

I shook hands with Madonna just two days after my Grandmother died. She is beautiful in person.

I got to see Duran Duran in concert which, when I was 12, I never got to do, but when I was 33 I did. It was better because I appreciated it more.


I had a seizure in the Denver Airport.

I have never been on a cruise. I have been on a boat and I got terribly sick. Don’t know if it was the motion or the drinking!

I have had ice cream for lunch with my son because you should enjoy every minute of life and I truly enjoyed that.

I make pinky promises about being my daughters very best friend and I hope that they never forget these moments.

I am not old enough to remember the assassination of John F. Kennedy, although I have been to Dealy Plaza and felt the emotions of it all. I don’t remember the murder of John Lennon, but I know it pissed off my brother. I do remember when Ronald Reagan was shot, when River Phoenix died that Halloween and when Kurt Cobain killed himself.

I have seen the space shuttle Challenger leave the earth and never come back…twice. I have watched the Berlin Wall come down. I remember the Iran Hostages. I remember reading a book of letters that kids wrote to Amy Carter about what life was like for a kid in the White House.

I remember holding my baby while watching the Twin Towers coming down on September 11th. I remember questioning what kind of world I had brought him into and then looking into his fat, white, round little smiley face and knowing that he could make a difference.

I remember Nadia and Mary Lou Retton winning all those medals in the Olympics and Andre Agassi winning Wimbledon. Sorry, Julie..I had to throw that in.

I remember wearing clothes that glowed in the dark with black lace fingerless gloves. I remember that I had a shirt that said BOY TOY on it, which my Mom never let me wear to school..I get it now, Ma. I remember wanting to be Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and the Wilson sisters from Heart all rolled in to one hip chick.

I remember fishing trips where I never caught a single fish. I remember camping trips where I got eaten alive by mosquitoes. I remember my gramps being a superhero in my eyes and that is when I learned that even superheroes get cancer.

I remember that I have been in 2 weddings only. In one I wore lavender and in the other I wore a lovely shade of blue. Each of them were my siblings and each of them are still married. Maybe I am good luck?

I remember being a little girl and going to see my brother perform in plays at the High School. As I recall he always played the bad guys. What’s up with that?

So there you have it. I have a whole life ahead of me to take trips and experience life and I plan to take a big bite out of it.

LIFE IS A BANQUET…and MOST POOR SUCKERS ARE STARVING TO DEATH!


Mirth & Merriment…and Many, Many More!

1 comment:

the rotten correspondent said...

You're going to be fine. It's just a really REALLY sucky way to spend your birthday.

Great list, btw. I'm over Andre now, if it matters. If he's good enough for Steffi Graf, he's good enough for me...