Monday, October 29, 2007

Fat Bottomed Girls!

Julie…you are gonna love this one.

I went costume shopping this weekend. When I say costume, I meant for myself, not the kiddos and when I say weekend I mean ALL WEEKEND. I went to 14 stores, I counted because I’m like that. While having a 31 flavors lunch with my son, I asked the college dude at the counter where any good costume places were. He mentioned one down the street, so I decided to try it.

SIDE NOTE- I am not a size 14…nor do I believe that a size 14 is a “plus size”. I am usually a size 18, depending on the cut or fabric or what I ate for breakfast!!!

Back to my story. Matthew was with me and he was almost as frustrated as I was that everywhere we went, the only costumes in my size were nuns or something so completely unattractive that I thought they were actually joking that people would spend money on them. I am not the “pirate wench” sort of girl and to dress as a nun would be hilarious, but just not me. I wanted to actually dress as something not big-fat-girl-esque but something that wouldn’t cover me all up, either.

So we walk into the store called the HALLOWEEN HEADQUARTERS! This is the third one we have been in today. Matthew is excited because there is blood and gore and Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhies and the SAW mask there and as I am just trying to control him, he looks down an aisle of costumes and shouts out “Look, Mom…they have a bunch of Plus Size stuff!” Right. Loud…as in, louder than the tv, loud. Thanks, Matt. But he was right. It was like chunky gal heaven. There were 10 or 12 different costumes, including the Nun and Pirate Wench, but there was a variety. After picking out one, trying it on and taking it to the counter, I told the woman that I was so excited that she had a great selection in my size. She told me that she usually orders a bunch in the plus sizes just because, and these are her words, she likes to live in the “real world”. THANK GOD!
So, after 2 full days of looking, tired feet and a child who will not stop talking about all the stuff he wants for next year, I will be a very sexy Dorothy, from the Wizard of Oz. There is no place like Home. There is no time like Halloween.

Mirth & Merriment..and Ghost and Goblins.

1 comment:

the rotten correspondent said...

I'm impressed that you have the energy to dress up. I need a nap just thinking of shopping for a costume.