Thursday, May 3, 2007

Yesterday I found out that my new job is going to keep me on my toes and away from a desk. Not a bad thing for a gal who has been sitting answering calls for the past 5 years. Let me tell you about my day.

I arrived to work at 8:15 a.m., having already been awake for 2 hours. I was greeted by several items on my desk that needed urgent attention! That was all handled by 10:30. At 11:20 (my birthday!) my Manager decided that he was taking me to lunch and for a quick visit to our newest sites, acquired when we bought another company in February. OK then. Good thing because I was not too excited about my leftover spaghetti.

Lunch was at the Double Tree and I had a tuna melt...which was quite tasty. He discussed my job description and what I was to do. Gain the respect of the drivers so I was treated well. My confidentiality agreement...which I cannot discuss! We laughed, we ate, we got to know each other a little.

We drove to our site that is currently not a station because it has been under construction since November. It is large and dirty! Wearing flip-flops was not a great idea. We watched sweaty, large men (most of whom kept looking at me funny!) pour cement. That was fun! Fun, really, because it is the first time I have seen something go from the dirt to a building and I am excited to see it completed. Two more weeks? Yea, right?!

Our next stop was our Montebello location, which has a small c-store on site. It is a very clean place! Our guys working there are friendly and kind One even offered to buy me a piece of bazooka gum, but had to ask the other guy for a nickel to do it! Kissing ass, maybe?

After that we took a deposit to the bank and headed back to the office. It was a nice day. My manager does not have the reputation of being a kind person. Not a friendly person. But, I found that he can be. He can also be a pain in the ass, but that is his job. He is a MANAGER. When the shit comes down, it comes down on him and he has to pay for other people's errors or mistakes. I can respect that! Anyone who cannot, well they have never been there!

So then I got to work some more in the office. Filing, doing PO's, gathering receipts for monthly expense reports, calculating information for the monthly newsletter and answering questions from our Maintenance workers. At 4:40, I left for my other full-time job...HOME!

WHEW! It was a busy, productive, hot day but I am happy for the experience. Of course I have only been at this for a few days, so ask me in a few months about my happy-level!


Mirth & Merriment...

No comments: