Thursday, May 10, 2007

Leader Of The Pack (it's not me!)

In following the footsteps on my fantabulous sister-in-law who started this whole blogging thing (yup, it's her fault that I do this!) I would like to start a weekly tradition on Thursdays. Ya see, she makes her Thursday Three...a list of three things, subject matter can differ from least favorite chores around the homestead to Chick Flicks. So, I have decided to do it, too. (Can you tell I am sticking my tongue out at the computer?)
So here is it is, my semi-copyright infringing list. I guess I am creative enough to cal it something different, though...so the title shall be "YOUR DAILY DOSE OF....". Today it is
YOUR DAILY DOSE OF GUILTY PLEASURE SONGS!

We all have them. Some of us had them on Vinyl. Yes, vinyl. Some of us know all of the words to side b of that really popular song from the 70's, but do not want to admit it or just don't think anyone cares? What song takes you back? What song puts you in a great mood? What is the one song that you have to blast out of your mini-van or SUV? Don't be embarrassed. I'm not!
#1- Now, remind yourselves that I was born in late 1970 - ANYTHING BY BARRY MANILOW! When I was growing up, he was THE MAN! I loved his music then, I love it now. Does the mere fact that I saw him in concert just 2 years ago, while 7 months pregnant with twins mean anything to you people? How about that David Copperfield did his magic routine to "Time in New England"? It has to be great!!!
#2- "Carry on my Wayward Son" by Kansas. Yes, "Dust in the Wind" is a good one and quite possibly might be played at my funeral, but come on! Kansas Rocks! Even when you sing the wrong words, this song played especially loud kicks ass!
#3- a tough decision, but I am going to choose "Love on the Rocks" by Neil Diamond. I know that I chose 2 good Jewish boys on the list, but who cares! I am not a hater! I'm a lover...and that is why I closed my eyes and pointed at the Neil Diamond songbook to find my #3 choice. It is a great song, lyrically and melodically. From the movie, "The Jazz Singer", Neil combines his perfect voice with the tragic love story. AHHH...Joy!
Honorable Mentions go to "Spirit In The Sky", "Message in a Bottle", "Toxic" (yes, the one by Britney Spears-what a psycho!), "Super Freak" and "Crazy Train" (you gotta love Ozzy!!!!)
Mirth & Merriment to you....now spill it....

3 comments:

the rotten correspondent said...

You can follow in my footsteps any time you want - I love it! Just don't sleep with your brother, okay? My three guilty pleasure songs are - #1 anything by the Bay City Rollers. Yeah, I know. But I love them!! #2 the Bee Gees, especially the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and #3 Rod Stewart when he was going through that godforsaken disco thing. If ya want my body and ya think I'm sexy...never mind. I may not want to look at him but I like listening to him!

Anonymous said...

Yaz. One word. One awesome album. All heartfelt or heartwrenching songs depending on your point of view. All others can hang...for now.

Miss T said...

Okay - first of all, Carl is going to love you! The night we first met he asked me what kind of music was my favorite and I told him classic rock. Now, mind you, he is 10 years older than I am, so more than likely he thought I didn't know what I was talking about. But when he asked what band in particular was my favorite and I said Kansas - even if he didn't know it that minute - I think he probably fell a little in love with me right then and there! Kansas is his favorite band of all time and almost the entire time we have known each other - through good times and bad - we have gone to see them anywhere they are playing closest, once a year (last year was Vegas, baby!) We have actually been talking about where we want to follow them this year.

Okay - my confessions, along with agreeing with you on Barry Manilow - come on - EVERYONE has to admit that they have jammed to "It's a Miracle" and "American Bandstand" - I will admit to two others (although unfortunately since musically I mostly live in the past - I could have pages full of guilty pleasure songs) - I will tell you this...Barbara Joan Streisand (self-titled album) and Stoney End by the Queen Bee also. These are two of her WAY earlier albums and they are pure, fun and heartfelt. No way to argue her perfection on these two albums. And..."Don't Give Up On Us, Baby" by THE David Soul of Starsky and Hutch. Makes me cry every time I play it. Oh, and honorable mentions would be - "Sunshine" by John Denver, "The Old Man in the Bleachers" by David Gettes (sp?) and the all time classic - "Brickhouse" by the Commodores.

Man - I could go on for hours, but I'll stop for now. I just love the fact that when I read your blog I always feel that someone out there really "gets" me. :-)