Saturday, March 31, 2007

My Uterus Is Leaving The Building

This being my last Saturday with a uterus, I decided to make the best of it. My beautiful twins decided to sleep in until 8:00 a.m. - un heard of - so I got a little more shut eye. Mostly, I was wide awake, with my eyes closed thinking about all the "spring cleaning" I wanted to do before my surgery on Monday. I spent some great alone time with "Beana" and when "Piglet" awoke, got to cuddle with her for awhile. I started thinking about the day that I finally got to meet these beautiful girls.

The terrential downpour had hit Southern California. February 05 is still a big one in the record books for rainfall. On February 16th, our third trip to the hospital, I was sure that there were once again going to inject me and make me go back home, put my feet up and wait even longer for my babies to come. I had already been on leave from work since December 1st. I was at 35 weeks and one day and I knew that 35 weeks was a pretty good place to be, delivery-wise. So, we headed out and after 3 or 4 hours after being admitted, they decided that those pleasing pokes with the needles weren't keeping the girls away any longer. I was ready and the CSection had been scheduled for 4:00. YIPP-fin-EEE! It was about time. I mean, I know how girls are and we love to make people wait for the perfection, but give me a break!!

So there we sat, the Comic Book King making all the phone calls and me sitting in anticipation of being cut in half. It was lovely! At 4:00 on the dot they came and got me. My husband, looking very George Clooney like, was dressed in scrubs, complete with that sexy little hair net thingy and booties. I have never seen him look so cute. Forget Justin Timberlake...my HUSBAND brought Sexy Back! They gave me a spinal, which immediately numbed me and I felt GRRRRRREAT! My Doctor, who was about 5'0 tall and maybe 110 lbs., climbed up onto the table that I was laying on and said here's baby a....and yanked out my "beana". Honestly, she looked tired. There was no immediate cry. But, there was also no time for crying. Doctor Skinny was digging in again looking for our little runt. Just one minute later, Piglet was out! Still, no sound. I turned my head to my husband and asked why they weren't crying. He kept telling me, as usual, to relax and shut up! Then....there it was. A DOUBLE CRY! I was elated! I got exactly 5 seconds to look at my daughters before they, and my mister were shuttled away to Nursery.

After 2 hours in recovery and an empty uterus, I was brought back to my room. That is when the fun started. I began vomitting and feeling horrible, but still I had not seen my babies. After about 3 hours of trying to recover, they wheeled in my 2 little monkeys. They were so tiny. One was 4 pounds and the other 5. I remember holding them and thinking that I really do believe in a God that would bring me such miracles. I held them both, taking in everything about them. They were the most precious moments of my life. My daughters!

Now, just 3 days away from a surgery to remove the girls' first "pad", I feel remarkably calm. It is an empty space that is causing me more greif than joy. So, farewell good friend. You gave me 3 beautiful babies, but it is time to go....

Au Revoir!

2 comments:

El Reservado said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Love ya Sis!!

Monkey In the Middle said...

very upset to be learning about this from your blog!!! I am your sister, after all.

our prayers will be with you. Enjoy all the cuddle time now, no lifting over 10 pounds for a LOOOOOONNNNNG time...

Love ya