Friday, March 30, 2007

GOOD PARENT? I say, YES!

This morning at 6:15 a.m. my beautiful daughter "Beana" said "Mama?" I went to get her out of bed and bring her into my room. I did it so that she would not wake up the sleeping angel in the bed next to hers. I sat on my bed, hair still wrapped in a towel after my early morning shower, ready to put on my face at least $70.00 worth of cosmetics. Take away the dark circles, draw on eyebrows, add some color to my cheeks, take away the shine, curl the eyelashes, put on mascara, curl the eyelashes, lip liner, lipstick, gloss...gloss...gloss! WHEW! She is our little Queen. She will greet me at the door when I get home with arms wide open only to grab my purse and run and hide while she destroys everything in it! She is a girly girl...a big girly girl! So, there we sit on my bed while she tried on every lipstick in my box. I will estimate that there are 50 of them. The reds, the pinks, the browns, the gloss...all of them! Yes, all of them were all over her lips. Every time she applied a new color she said "Mirror?" and I would have to show her how pretty she was. She enjoys looking at herself in the mirror...watch out when she turns 13, huh? It was starting to get a bit annoying...only because I was already running late and I had to take big sis home before taking big bro to school at 7:30 and heading to work. As I took another lisptick away from her, I looked down into my open purse to find a tootsie roll pop. My mind wandered for a moment to find any nutritional value that this treat might have. I didn't find one. But, I gave it to her anyway. Bad Parent Alert! Yes, I gave my Queen Bean a tootsie pop for breakfast. What are you going to do about it? It took her mind off destroying my lipsticks and wiping her hands off my white beadspread. I got to blow dry, straighten, gloss...gloss...gloss, brush my teeth and still she was sucking away. I got big sister home, big brother to school and got to work on time! God Bless Sugar!

My question to you Mom's is this...what's the big deal? You've done this right? Right? Please tell me someone out there has done this....hello? Hello? Are you out there?

5 comments:

ANTS said...

10 minuted after you left that sucker ended up in her sisier's hair

New 'Do said...

Of course, as a responsible parent, I have never, ever stooped to the sugar-ploy to distract or pacify. Of course, I seldom choose to remember the mis-deeds of my early parenting years and try to focus on the intelligent, content and relatively sane adults my children have become. I gues we can ask the question "nature or nutrition", right? As I have told you before I think parenting is a pure case of "luck of the draw" - we do our best, without an owner's manual, and trust our instincts.

Monkey In the Middle said...

never in my most fevered dreams have I dared give a child a tootsie roll pop for breakfast!!! Devils food cake with milk chocolate frosting, yes. Tootsie roll pop, no.

Bad mommy, bad

lylas :)

the rotten correspondent said...

when you get to the REALLY bad things you've let your kids eat, let me know...

P said...

Oh yes!! I think we all have... you're doing great!