Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Don't Fear The Reaper

My blog titles, as far back as the eye can see have always been song titles. Songs that were either on my mind or the radio while I was writing. Songs that could best describe my mood or some ridiculous point that I was trying to get across to the 3 people who read my blog religiously. Music is a huge part of who I am. I can name artist or title of songs when they come on without hesitation. I even have several people who call me and ask me “who sings that song that goes, la la she was walking and la” and I know right off what it is. It’s a gift, I know. I also associate horrible or happy moments in my life with melodies that I remember from those times. So good or bad, they are all set to music. Here are some of my choices:

Moondance” by Van Morrison.
If I had gone big-wedding, bridezilla crap, this would have been my first dance. I love the lyrics, I love his voice, I love this song. I love how it makes you sway in your chair, while you are doing some meaningless task and would rather be naked in the dark with just a small hint of moonlight hitting just the right parts of your body (you know, the one’s that look so much better in the dark!) dancing in the arms of the one you love.

Well, I wanna make love to you tonight
I cant wait til the morning has come
And I know that the time is just right
And straight into my arms you will run
And when you come my heart will be waiting
To make sure that you’re never alone
There and then all my dreams will come true, dear
There and then I will make you my own
And every time I touch you, you just tremble inside
And I know how much you want me that you cant hide


“I’ll Wait” by Van Halen.
1984 is one of my favorite all time albums. Yes, I said it…ALBUMS! There is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting to loving vinyl. I love Sammy, but you gotta somewhere deep down in your heart love the sound of Mr. David Lee Roth singing about a hot girl…or anything for that matter. This is one of those songs I somehow wish someone would sing about me.
To have someone lust after me that much would be sen-freakin-sational!!!!

I'll wait 'Til your love comes down
I'm coming straight for your heart
No way You can stop me now
As fine as you are

“Godspeed” (Sweet Dreams) by The Dixie Chicks.
I love the Chicks. I have loved them since Wide Open Spaces and love ‘em still. I dig chicks with guitars and violins and banjos and voices that can be heard from the third star to the right and straight on ‘til morning. This song is very special to me as I used to sing it to my son when he was a baby and I still am requested to do so on occasion…which I secretly love! It also reminds me of a wonderful friend of mine who gave birth to a stillborn son around the same time. Matthew used to say “Godspeed Baby Adam!” in his prayers every night and although he has forgotten about Adam, I haven’t.

The rocket racer's all tuckered out
Superman's in pajamas on the couch
Goodnight moon, will find the mouse
And I love you
Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh my love will fly to you each night on angels wings
Godspeed
Sweet dreams

“Elsewhere” by Sarah McLachlan.
I could have chosen the entire “Fumbling Towards Ecstasy” album, but this song is extremely special to me. I was first introduced to SM by a married man that I fell madly in love with. I couldn’t help myself. There is something about having an “affair” and also having the perfect soundtrack to it that made it seem like it wasn’t wrong…but totally right for me.
Not much else can be said about that relationship except that I wish him only happiness.

I know this love is passing time
Passing through like liquid
I am drunk in my desire...
But I love the way you smile at me
I love the way your hands reach out and hold me near...
I believe
This is heaven to no one else but me
And I’ll defend it as long as
I can be left here to linger in silence
If I choose to
Would you try to understand

“Let It Be” by The Beatles.
This is actually my earliest childhood memory. I remember that I was sitting in the back of a big-ass station wagon. You remember the one from The Brady Bunch? It was like that. It had a back window that was automatic and we could sit there and make it go up and down. I remember being in the back of that bomb and hearing this song. I hummed along because, you gotta admit that it has quite a good melody. Every time it comes on, I turn it up, roll down my windows and sing…badly! Well, come on. I’m no Paul McCartney. It probably helped that I am also a huge Sesame Street fan and “Letter B” was one of my fav’s, too!

When I find myself in times of trouble,
mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom,
let it be.
And in my hour of darkness
she is standing right in front of me,
speaking words of wisdom,
let it be.
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

“That I Would Be Good” by Alanis Morrisette.
Around the same time I was having a lovely affair, there was this Canadian who burst on the scene and sang (excuse the language, here) fuck-you songs. I love Alanis. I think she is one of those women who can tell you off, yes, even using the C-word and you would thank her for it. I loved Jagged Little Pill and saw her on that concert tour, but her later music touched me a little deeper. This is one song that will be played at my funeral, whether anyone likes it or not. Therefore, since we are talking about my eternal rest, I am giving you the entire song.

That I would be good even if I did nothing
That I would be good even if I got the thumbs down
That I would be good if I got and stayed sick
That I would be good even if I gained ten pounds

That I would be fine even if I went bankrupt
That I would be good if I lost my hair and my youth
That I would be great if I was no longer Queen
That I would be grand if I was not all knowing

That I would be loved even when I numb myself
That I would be good even when I am overwhelmed
That I would be loved even when I was fuming
That I would be good even if I was clingy
That I would be good even if I lost sanity
That I would be good
Whether with or without you..
And so is the soundtrack of my life. Mirth & Merriment.

2 comments:

the rotten correspondent said...

Ahem. Runaway Train??

Anonymous said...

I am the same way about music!!! Certain songs take me back almost instantly to certain times in my life. Sometimes even smells, emotions, etc. If I was stranded on a desert island I would want my music with me!!! PS was glad to see a Van Halen song on the list--talk about memories!!! Remember that fight we had one night over Van Halen vs Duran Duran?