Monday, March 24, 2008

Come On, Eileen!

I was never a cheerleader in High School. Never! With that being said I can now say to the world that I am the proud parent of a Junior Varsity High School Cheerleader for the next school year. I am honestly thrilled for her.

I remember starting HS and being scared to death and I was surrounded by a small circle of dorky friends who would venture into the unknown with me. I also remember the cheerleaders of the time. All blond and beautiful and tan and infinitely snobbish. They were not friends with the likes of me because I did not shop at Judy’s or Windsor for my clothes. On the outside, I was not what would have fit in with their crowd. I was a huge nerd. I had braces. Not just braces like they have today, but with an entire ring of metal that fit around each tooth, with a lovely track on each one, with connecting wire. My hair was a mess; naturally wavy and I couldn’t find a damned thing to do with it. I also always wore it short because I was a tomboy and only girly-girls had time to do their hair…enter my sister! I took up swimming, which I was surprisingly good at. I even made Varsity my Freshman year. That made my year! However, being a flat-chested teenage girl is one thing, but to be all that in a bathing suit is quite a different story.


Throughout HS, I did progress- but really not too much. I swam for 3 great years and won medals and titles. I acted in lots of productions and even directed a few. I got a chance to be in the show choir, which I had dreamt of since I was a little girl. I fell in love. I lost my virginity. I had my heart broken. I went to the Prom. I cheated on a boyfriend. I got into fights. I got my ass kicked. I made the most amazing friends. I was nominated for Prom Queen. I went to see U2 for my 16th birthday. I lived. I really, really did.

But, the cheerleaders. They were a different story. They were perfect on the outside, but at the Prom I recall seeing a side of them that was no magazine cover. They were underage drunks with huge problems and issues. They wore so much makeup that they actually changed the structure of their faces. They weren’t pretty…on the inside or out. They were rude. They were bitchy. They were whores. They were not what I wanted to be.

Again, times have changed. I believe that parents and how a child is raised determines who they become. I believe that just because Oni is a cheerleader now does not mean that she is going to start running around with the wrong crowd and doing hellacious things like sneaking out and drinking at parties her freshman year. I don’t think so. Her mother would not let that happen. Her dad will not let that happen. I WILL NOT LET THAT HAPPEN! She is too important to a lot of people to let her chose the wrong path in life. So, we will guide her, even when she is sick and tired of us. I will continue to tell her that I love her and that here life is precious. I will tell her over and over that her heart is so special and shouldn’t be given away to just anyone. There is not “just anyone” out there who deserves her! That she can talk to me about anything and that I pray she continues to do so.

So, congrats to you on fulfilling the first of many High School dreams. May you experience all the joy and happiness that you can. May you learn and grow. I pray that you take mistakes made and turn them into lessons learned and live each day as a new one. I love you.

Mirth & Merriment.

1 comment:

Rudee said...

My daughter's high school years gave me agida. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=agida) The first definition. "We" survived and she is a lovely young woman. You'll survive too.