Friday, December 7, 2007

Puff the Magic Dragon

Today is December 7th. It is a day that will live in infamy. However, for my family it is a day that ends infancy. The girls have started preschool. It is with a heavy heart and excitement that I announce that.

At almost 3, they have learned so much from us but it is time to let them spread their wings and explore new things. At their school, which is so incredibly cool (such a blessing!) they will be doing arts and crafts, science, ballet, music and dance, math and learning colors, numbers and shapes...the latter they already have down. I am thrilled that they will be around other kids and seeing what "school" is really like. I am sad that my babies, the very last from my womb, are old enough to have this experience.

In answer to your question, No. I have not cried. I remember when Matthew was just a year old, putting him in daycare and crying the entire day at work. I could not get to him fast enough. When I left, he was upset and the teacher did tell me that he cheered up after that. Yeah, right! But, anyway when I went to get him after work, he didn't want to come home with me. He was having too much fun with his new friends. I am hoping that happens when I pick the girls up tonight. It would be great to see them playing happily without mommy and daddy crowding over. They are so independent. Athena fell in love right away with the fact that the bathroom is specially designed for "little people". She couldn't get over the little potty's and sinks. Aliza sat down and started breakfast. There were no tears. No emotional good-byes. DAMN! I was so looking forward to them throwing themselves at my feet and begging me not to leave...but, no. Little Inependent Girls. They were ready for this. They have been ready for so long.

So I am half way through the day and I have called just once to check on them. That's good, right? Say, right?

Here is a great story from yesterday. The girls needed their second dose of the Hep A shot so I took them in. I didn't lie to them at all. They knew they were getting shots. Well, our Bean was first and she howled! I MEAN SCRRRRRREEEEAAAAAMMMMMEEED! Which scared the crap out of Aliza. But when I pulled her pants back on and took her down from the table, she was fine. No tears. However, when they poked Aliza, who resisted quite a bit, she hit the nurse. Athena HIT the nurse! She was angry. I believe her exact words were, while crying "Stop hurting my sister!" It was nice to hear that she cares that much, but deep down I realize that she doesn't really...she just wants to be the only one who can pick on Aliza.

We are also moving tomorrow. Yes, it's supposed to pour down rain and there isn't a lot of help, but we are moving. We will be together for Christmas. Wish us luck.

Mirth & Merriment

No comments: