Friday, November 30, 2007

Kryptonite


My Aliza Claire was born at 4 lbs. 13 oz. She was baby "B" in the miraculous situation at the hospital on that February day. She was tiny. When I say tiny, I want you all to know that I was actually nervous about changing her diaper because she was so small. She has had some drama, given that every 6 months she sees her cardiologist for a heart murmur, but beyond that she has not been sick besides the occasional cold or cough.


When her fever got to about 104 and she was just lying there not crying, not talking, just slightly moaning, I knew she was sick. Then, while I was at work, I get this call from my mom. "Aliza has this little rash on her cheek". No biggie. I wasn't concerned. The next call came from my husband saying that the rash is now all over and the fever will not go away. That warrants a trip to Urgent Care.


They took a urine sample. Good little girl, peed in that cup like a pro! They did a quick strep test and we waited. What the doctor came in and told me next was still jaw dropping. "We think it's Scarlet Fever!" My mind automatically tried to find some reference to scarlet fever and I only came up with Little House on The Prairie and praying for the baby who had "the fever". Huh? Scarlet Fever, really? Then she showed me a paper with all the symptoms. Aliza was a textbook case. Everything on the list, she had. I am still shocked by the diagnosis.


So how do you treat Scarlet Fever? Well, I will tell you. You get the biggest, thickest, nastiest shot of Penicillin right in the butt. I am not sure Aliza will forget that one. Her poor little butt cheek is one big bruise. Then, you take penicillin three times a day for 10 days. It is horribly rancid tasting stuff. Amoxocillin at least has a flavor, but this was like water with ground up aspirin. Needless to say, she is not taking it well. Scarlet Fever. Yup. As I told a friend of mine, she and I just started to laugh. With everything Athena has had and now this? GOOD GRIEF!


So, it is finally Friday and pouring down rain! I will have something warm and spicy for lunch and get home to my babies. I will make cocoa with marshmallows and we will chill out together. It almost sounds like the perfect weekend.


FYI - to those of you keeping tabs on the living situation. We will be moving on December 7th into our new place. A home for Christmas is all I want.


Mirth & Merriment...

No comments: