Thursday, May 24, 2007

Money for Nothing...and the Chicks are free!

Ok. I am a woman now, but there was a time when I was just a girl with some scraggly hair, awful fashion sense and a dream. I can't remember the dream at the moment, but to think of the 80's definitely puts an expression on my face that is part reminiscent, part fear. Fear that perhaps my youth has passed me by and I wore too much day-glo. So, here we are...another Thursday, another Daily Dose. Following a theme, because I just adore themes (!), give me your Daily Dose of Favorite Songs From Your Childhood! By the way, childhood is birth to 18!

Here we go..memory lane, again!

#1- "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins
Phil Collins is master of the love ballad. I love this song. The memory attached to it, not so much. High School Dance. Pat Irwin. Broken Heart. Love Sucks. But, you coming back to me, is Against All Odds, It's A Chance I've Got To Take! Ahh...

#2- "Let It Be" by The Beatles
This is actually my first music memory. I was in the back of a station wagon- the one where you push the button to make the back window go down. What a great song, forget that it's my first childhood memory, just listen to it. When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me...speaking words of wisdom...Let it Be.

#3- "Suburbia" by The Pet Shop Boys
I love the Pet Shop Boys. This song reminds me of High School times...good times, which were rare. My little sister and I listening to KROQ (Rock of the 80's) and thinking we were hip. What a time.

Honorable Mention Alert! Anything by Duran Duran, Madonna, U2 or The Carpenters

Mirth & Merriment....and Music!!!!

2 comments:

New 'Do said...

Okey, dokey, Pokey...

1. My Dad was a bartender in his youth (and my babyhood), so he got all the jukebox platters as they were changed out. My lullabies were the wonderful songs of the 40's. Name one, I know the lyrics by heart. Favorite? "Sentimental Journey" because my Dad loved it, and my Mama sang and hummed it when I was litle and Dad was overseas.

2. "Ghost Riders In The Sky" because I sang it on stage at the Talent Show at St. Mary's Elementary School when I was in the 3rd Grade. I still remember the applause, but it was a duet and I can't remember who I was singing with....

3. "Come Go With Me" by the DelVikings. High School, riding in the back seat of Patti's brothers' car. The beat of the music, the words of the song, summer... oh, well.

I include a 4th all time favorite:
"Silent Night". I must have been 5 or 6, because Dad was home from the War. We were out Christmas visting and we were late coming home. My little sister was asleep in the back seat next to me, and Mama started to sing "Silent Night". When she finished, I said, "Oh, Mama, you sing just like Virgin Mary." She cried. She told the story to me years later, and she cried again. I'm crying now.

the rotten correspondent said...

New 'Do - are you home??

Here are my three -
#1. "Downtown". First song memory is being in my dad's brand new white T-Bird, driving in the tunnel that links Detroit and Canada, and "Downtown" was playing. Is it Petula Clark?

#2. "Just You and Me" by Chicago. I had just gotten new glasses and was terrified I would look like a bigger geek than I was and this song came on the radio. I was still a geek, just a geek listening to a good song. Every time I hear it I have that memory.

#3. "Telephone" by ELO. This was popular one year when I was coming back from visiting my dad in Michigan. I was leaving my best friend until the next summer, and I cried all the way to LA with this song playing in my head.

Also, I second anything by the Pet Shop Boys for all time faves, but unfortunately I was well past childhood!!