Monday, April 30, 2007

Money Changes Everything

So, with my husband in-between jobs and us semi-surviving on my income, we have come to the point where there is no money! Now, this is a personal situation but I guess I feel that any of you out there who are reading this, I feel are part of my family, anyway, so I will allow the peeping into my personal life. We have gotten to the point where there is never enough money, which any of you who have children in your lives, will know is a daily, if not hourly occurrence. However, the interesting part of all this is that we had the BEST weekend...with empty pockets.

On Friday night, we got to have my gorgeous step-daughter spend the night. This wouldn't be breaking news if it weren't for the fact that it has been almost a month since we have had her for the whole night! She is so lovely to talk with. She talks about boys and music and problems at school and making the Honor Roll...again! I hope I get a bumper sticker this time! Our son enjoyed her company more than I can express. He gets a little tired of living in "baby land" all the time and another warm body, without wrinkles, is always good to play video games with! they had a blast and I love that they love each other that much. There were no snacks in the house, no take-out ordered, no money spent...except on the electricity and directv bills!

Saturday morning, I made waffles, homemade waffles!!!! I ran out of syrup after the Diva got hers, so the rest of us had grape jelly and butter on our waffles. Quite a delight!! The Diva had to be taken home early, so it was up to us to entertain the future rockstar and the twins! WATER! It was finally a warm weekend...and when I say warm, I mean in the 80's without a cloud in the sky! I got the hose out and squirted the girls down. They LOVE the water! I believe they are going to be great swimmers, but we will see this Summer with swim lessons. We played outside in the warm air, the hose going crazy, hitting Queen Bean right in the face and filling up our Piglet's already bloated diaper! It was such a joy! Then, it was lunch time and then down for a nap! AHHH....a time to watch something good. I watched "The Queen" which, honestly, took me back to a time that I hoped I could forget.
(A brief note...possibly the best movie I have seen in years! Helen Mirren is just lovely!)
We are back to Saturday afternoon, nap time was over, I got in my 2 hours of "me" time and I had a thought. Not too hard to believe, but it was a good thought! How about a walk to the park? They had installed a mini-water park there and that might be fun for the kids to enjoy! So, we put them in the double-wide (stroller, that is!) and took the boy by the hand and off we went. Three minutes later they were all drenched. Running around like crazy people. Soaking up every drop of water, until about 30 minutes later, the water shut off. Shut off is at 5:00. Who knew? After that there were wet butts, mixed with sand, mixed with girl parts, mixed with a slide. It was not pretty! I still think there is sand somewhere! There was a good night's sleep, after a yummy dinner of mexican chicken and rice. It was good...the first day. Again, no money spent on our part!

Sunday morning, more waffles with jelly..maybe it is the fat girl in me, but it was good! Then, I had another brilliant idea. How about going to the park, again?! What could it hurt? This time, I would put them in their bathing suits and bring towels...and they would only be allowed to play before getting wet! So, after a mac & cheese lunch and NO NAP, we went to the park. IT WAS AWESOME! My little one's, all 3 of them, looking like newborn kittens, wet and running around like they were blind, bumping into everything, falling down, but having fun!! Yes, we took pictures, in case you were asking!!! I have never laughed so hard. Well, maybe, but never at my own children!!! Afterwards, we were invited over to my husband's best friend's house for food. We made carne asada, chicken, green onions on the grill, veggies and best of all, there was Malibu Rum in the juice that I was drinking down. I never drink anymore, but it sure hit the spot...twice..ok, three times! All in all, a great morning, fantastic day and a blissful night. With no nap, the girls went to bed and all was right with the world. Again, no money spent on our part!

So my thoughts are, money can make you happy and put a smile on your face, but not as happy as time with the people you love the most...

Mirth & Merriment...and Money, if that is what you desire!!!!

2 comments:

the rotten correspondent said...

On the same page again, as usual. Some of the very best times we have had haven't cost a penny. I hate to think how many strollers we wore out walking for hours and going to the park. Also, oddly enough, I watched The Queen this weekend for the first time too. And, as the person who sobbed next to you for days, it was an AMAZING film. Just incredible the way they did it, and I only cried three or four times. Making progress! Hang in there, honey, it really is going to get better. I love you!

Miss T said...

Okay - let me first start out by saying - I finally caught up on the blog. Yea me!!

Second - if we had not met all those years ago in Ogleville, we would have met somewhere - truly! I laughed out loud over the Mr. Microphone comment and love that you remember and live in the 70s as much as I do.

Third - why I am NOT surprised that you and I are fellow Tori fans! Love, love, love that crazy lady!! And I really can't count the times Precious has blared out my car window with my screaming "fascious panties" right along with her! :-)

Love you sweetie!!