Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Tragedy

When I was awoken by my mother telling me that I needed to get up and come see what was on t.v., I was still in that half-awake period, but I got up anyway. She's my mom..you listen to Mom, right? What I got up to see was the World Trade Center building on fire. I kept asking what was happening and they first thought that it had been bombed like before. When my 11 month old son wandered in, rubbing his sleepy eyes, I picked him up and held him in my arms. Just then, the second plane hit the other tower and we were all silent and dumbfounded. How could this be happening? Who was doing this? What was this all about? I cuddled my son as the tears started to run down my cheeks. I was focused on these innocent people on board the plane and in this building who were alive just minutes ago and now their families lived would be changed forever. I stroked his little head while trying to imagine what type of world he would grow up in.

When the Oklahoma City bombing and Columbine happened, I was not yet a parent. I did not have these thoughts running through my mind. But, as we parents know...everything changes with the birth of a new little responsibility.

I am struck that I should write down my feelings about the incidents that occurred at Virginia Tech this week. While driving my son to school this morning, the radio was playing excerpts from conversations of people who were witness to the rampage of a medially off-balance fellow student. My son questioned me as to what they were talking about. When I thought for a moment how to answer his question I decided to simply say "there was a student who shot and killed a lot of people and himself". He did his typical silent stare and then said "was he crazy?". I said that I thought anyone who would do that to others and then to himself has to be a little sick in the head. My son told me that he felt sorry for all those people and we said that we would include them all in our prayers, which we will do tonight after story time.

This individual, we are now learning, gave some warning signs to teachers, students and others that he came in contact with that he was not a stable person. However, I do not hold these people accountable for his actions. His writings are violent and disturbing but never once does he mention shooting people at school. I am a creative writer and have written many short stories and such that depict things that I would never do, that is creative writing. The President of Virginia Tech is not responsible, neither are teachers or counselors. One man is responsible and he will never truly pay for what he has done to everyone involved.

So, to the family of the Virginia Tech students and teacher who lost their lives, our thoughts and prayers are with you. May your loved one's find peace in knowing that I will continue to raise my children to respect human life and the beating hearts of others. We will continue to pray for you in the coming hours, days, years...and pray for humans everywhere that tragedy not strike like this again.

Godspeed to you all...


Mirth & Merriment, when at all possible!

No comments: