Friday, April 13, 2007

No Black Cats!

Friday the 13th....ooh! Kim and Paula will appreciate this story!

One Summer that I spent in Texas visiting my Dad and family...mostly just my sister Kim...we decided that we would rent all of the scary movies that our little video store had in stock. No matter how stupid, we watched them. From the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" to "Slumber Party Massacre" and "Sleepaway Camp" to "The Town That Dreaded Sundown". We were all glossy eyed by Summer's end. I could not get enough. I am a huge fan of horror movies, obviously from an early age.

(Bad parent announcements coming!)
So, when my son was old enough, he watched a scary movie with me. Old enough being when he was old enough to speak! I showed him "Nightmare on Elm Street" when he was 3 years old. Freddy Krueger...classic! He LOVED it! He can't get enough of them. He even has Freddy, Jason Voorhies and Leatherface action figures. He has never had a nightmare about one of these films. He is just our child. He loves the scare-factor. He loves the gore. He loves the villains.

For his 6th birthday, we got a babysitter for the babies and took him to the movies. We got popcorn and slurpees and we sat in a theater full of about 6 other people and watched "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...the beginning!" I kept a close on him, noticing that his eyes were about as big as my coffee cup, minus the java....his eyes are blue! He had the best time, but better than that, Daddy & I had the best time sharing our love of the horror genre with him. We enjoy these times with him. Yes, I know that they are violent. Yes, I know that they are graphic. But, I am spending time with my kid! He is not plopped in front of a video game while I ignore him....he is doing something with his parents. He is only this age once and I want to share with him as much as I can. Or maybe I just like the way he wants to hang on to me when he gets scared. It makes me feel like I am still needed.

*Disclaimer*
My son is a first grader, reading 4th and 5th grade books. He is in a class that combines the advanced first graders with the second graders who need more help. He is a mentor in his class! He helps the second graders with reading. He is doing second grade math. He is the smartest little kid I know. He is growing up too fast. I tried to stop feeding him and giving him water, but the damned weed is still growing.

PS - The only movie I have ever watched with him that made him have a nightmare was "ET". WHAT THE????????

Mirth & Merriment To You And Yours!

1 comment:

New 'Do said...

Ya' know my sentiments on horror movies and kids, so I won't go there. Sufficeth to say WonderKind seems to be a normal and loving little kid with an abnormally (for his age) good grip on where fantasy begins and reality ends. He also wants to be a movie director and make horror movies. Yes, the thing about "ET" is strange. Good luck to all involved.